mon cherie

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Root Bake

I went through a health food phase for a while. Although I fell off the health food wagon, I still make many of those dishes, including this one. It is a pretty dish to serve, and very flavorful. I use local organic ingredients for the best flavor.

6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (1/2 inch squares)
2 medium yams, peeled and diced (1/2 inch squares)
2 medium beets, peeled and diced (1/2 inch squares), rinse diced beets well
(you will want to wear disposable gloves or your fingers will stain pink)
1 large white or yellow onion, diced and sauteed in olive oil with salt
1 Tbsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. salt
1/4-1/3 c. olive oil

Mix everything but the beets in a large bowl. Pour the mixture into a 9x13 baking dish. Add the beets and gently mix them in. Don't overmix. Bake covered for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Test the yams. If they are not soft, continue to bake covered until they are. (Hint: I like my roots a bit saltier than this, but you can put salt on the table for those who need more).

No comments:

Post a Comment