mon cherie

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes

I love fried green tomatoes as I love few other foods in this world. They are tart and salty goodness. I eat so many, it's a wonder that I never get sick of them. When we're trying to use up green tomatoes at the end of summer, we eat fried green tomatoes almost every day! In fact, a confession..... I love fried green tomatoes so much that one evening, when I was a teenager, I came in the back door, smelled them cooking, and I was so excited that I jumped in the air, in my graceless way, and landed like a clutz, breaking my foot. There's no pain I won't endure for a fried green tomato. Bart is the best fried green tomato chef, although he did not eat them growing up, and this is his recipe:

Slice green tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick.
First, dip tomato slices in flour to coat.
Next, dip slices in a beaten egg mixture:
2 eggs to 1/2 c. milk
Next, dip slices in a bread crumb mixture:
1/4 c. cornmeal, 1/4 c. flour, 1/2 c. fine breadcrumbs, 2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp pepper
Fry in a frying pan with about 1/2 inch of oil at medium heat. Brown on both sides, turning once. Drain on a paper towel, cooling slightly to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment