mon cherie

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings

Tonight I made this for the first time in my life, and it was so good. I know my Mom's were even better, but boy was this delicious. Some of the foods in my life make me grateful for my Mother's family's southern roots. This is one of them.

1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 Tbs. butter
1/3 c. water
64 oz. chicken broth
3 chicken breasts, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried basil
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 celery stalks, washed and sliced
Bisquick mix
milk

Sautee onion in butter and water. When onions are soft, add 3 cloves crushed garlic. Let cook for a couple of minutes. Add broth, chicken, salt, pepper, thyme, basil, carrots, and celery. Bring to a boil and cook until the carrots are soft. Mix the Bisquick, following the instructions for 1 batch of biscuits. Drop the biscuit mix by spoonfuls into the boiling pot. Let them boil uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, so that the soup doesn't scorch on the bottom. Cover the pot and boil for 10 more minutes. Makes 8 hearty servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment